Glade Park and Piñon Mesa, Colorado
Photos and content © glade-park.com 2006-20010
PARKIN' IT! IN THE PRESENT AND THE PAST
For the most current news on Glade Park/Pinon Mesa, go to Glade Park Blog. Subscribe to the RSS feed and you will be notified when anything new is posted on the blog.
Glade Park is "the journey, not the destination!" No matter which of the three routes you take to get to Glade Park, you will wind through sand rock switchbacks, with spectacular views, as Grand Junction becomes a miniature maze below. After dusk the view twinkles like a sea of living jewels. A glade is an open space, in this case, surrounded by natural wonders: Colorado National Monument, Piñon Mesa (with a chunk of Grand Mesa National Forest), and McInnis Canyons National Conservation Area.
If heights bother you, or you are expecting luxury accommodations ...or any accommodations at all, when you arrive at Glade Park, you should head for Aspen instead. We have no motels, or restaurants. Your cell phone probably won't even work, unless it is Verizon.
You know you have arrived when the road levels out and you reach a crossroads where you find a bizarre looking log house with an observatory tower, and a pink antique iron bridge crossing from an upper deck to the roof of a detached garage. Other less unusual evidence of civilization consists of the Glade Park Store, a post office, and an old school that serves as a community center.
There is also a volunteer fire department where, on summer Fridays, the Glade Park Fire department presents "Movies Under the Stars" (They also put out fires, and give emergency assistance.) It isn't just a local event. Hundreds load up their families and drive up from Grand Junction to cool off and eat at the grill (only open during the movie) and watch a family movie under stars that are bright and plentiful.
But this cluster of buildings is not the sum total of Glade Park. We are also the surrounding community. We are the history of things past, the remaining ranches, the alumni who return on pilgrimages, and the newcomers (a newcomer is someone who arrived after you did).
Most residents live on 35 to 40 acre plots, and commute to Grand Junction for work, groceries, auto parts and other necessities. Compared to a lot of places in Colorado, change has been slow. And the residents like it that way.
In the beginning it was Big Park, but, in 1910 the first postmistress, Jennie M. France, was told by the USPS that there were already too many towns by that name, so she came up with Glade Park. That is about the time my family arrived. There is some turbulent history here, involving shootings, moonshine, disagreements between sheepmen and cattlemen... More about that later.
JOIN THE GLADE PARK RSS/BLOG to follow our progress. It is easy, and you will know when to come back for the latest information. There is a lot more to come: history, community events, post office news , noxious weed information, and more. Use the GP Forum, or Contact Us to give your input! GP businesses get a FREE LISTING in the GP Marketplace! Other businesses get a bargain to build goodwill on in this community.
I grew up on a Glade Park ranch. I know what some of you locals are thinking. I thought long and hard about this. I decided that we cannot completely stop progress, and it might as well be someone with deep roots here to approach this respectfully. Yeah, this may attract some attention, but I do not plan to make it a hard sell for development. It's happening, so maybe this can help us direct it to some extent, and help record and preserve the spirit of "The Park." Let me know what you think!
Find out how a low techie built www.gladepark.com!
You too can build a website about your hobby, or to promote your business!
- Glade Park Blog
- Glade Park Blog lets you keep your ear to the ground on what is happening at www.glade-park.com.
- Glade Park and Pinon Mesa CO News Currents
- Read and report Glade Park current news and information
- Glade Park Community Events Calendar
- Good times, good causes, the meaning of community!
- Glade Park Volunteer Fire Department Movies Under the Stars 2014
- Family friendly movies under a cool blanket of stars, with FOOD and pre-show entertainment.. Benefits Glade Park Volunteer Fire Department.
- Glade Park Volunteer Fire Department
- From range fires to car accidents, the all-volunteer fire department comes to the rescue, then fund raises with “Movies Under the Stars.”
- The Roads That Lead to Glade Park
- Push for National Park status for CNM continues relentlessly.
- Glade Park & Piñon Mesa Fire News
- Current news of Glade Park & Piñon Mesa fires
- Glade Park Post Office
- The Saga of How a Rural Post Office Survived
- Glade Park Post Office Saga Continues with Como, CO Chapter
- The PO Trailer is Coming - Bring Your Flashlight!
- Glade Park Forum
- Glade Park memories, howdys and opinions
- Glade Park Weather
- Glade Park weather, not some other nearby town!
- Glade Park Marketplace
- Commerce by and/or for Glade Parkers!
- Glade Park/Pinon Mesa Colorado outdoor recreation
- Glade Park/Pinon Mesa area offers hunting, fishing, camping, ATV trails, horseback trails, and scenic wonders
- Glade Park Mercantile
- Find a sourvenir, a book on local history, or some other treasure.
- Glade Park Community Services, Inc.
- Glade Park Community Services - the heart and hands of the community.
- Glade Park Store
- The Glade Park Store has served the community since 1907.
- Glade Park Local Wisdom
- The warning labels on rural living on Glade Park
- Glade Park & Pinon Mesa Picture Gallery
- Glade Park & Pinon Mesa History in Photos
- Glade Park National Register of Historic Places Listings
- Glade Park Schools Listed in National Register
- Glade Park Library
- Learn about Glade Park and Pinon Mesa from local authors.
- Glade Park movie location: The Lucky Ones
- News about "The Lucky Ones," with scenes filmed on Glade Park,CO
- Glade Park Bible Church
- Glade Park's country church services and news
- Glade Park Volunteer Fire Department Letter to Residents
- Fire Chief/Glade Park Volunteer Fire Department describes services, thanks for support
- A Coates Creek Celebration!
- A poem about a "rip-snortin' time"
- Pinon Mesa 4-H Club, Glade Park, CO
- Glade Park 4-H builds character and good times.
- Glade Park Cemetery
- Glade Park Cemetery listings and pictures of headstones
- New Glade Park School: Work in Progress
- What you can do to help out Glade Park School...
- Glade Park Utilities and Services
- Glade Park Utilities and other essential services
- Glade Park Quick Facts
- Information about Glade Park, CO
- National Guard comes to Pinon Mesa
- National Guard will rebuild Fruita Reservoir #1 on Pinon Mesa
- Contact glade-park.com
- Contact glade-park.com
- glade-park respects the privacy of our visitors
- Coates Creek School Cookbook
- Coates Creek School Cookbook: old family recipes to preserve a historic one room schoolhouse.